Tuesday, November 06, 2007

I happened to have enough time today to take our laptop to the repair lab in Tel Aviv. For me and my mom it was a bit hard to get to Tel Aviv thinking of the time it takes (about 40 minutes). We finally did, and it was a mess.

First of all, the computer had arrived a month after we ordered it instead of the 10 days they promised. The computer, because it was refurbished, came with no manual or basic information. They said that a refurbished item doesn't have to bring such stuff, but I bought some refurbished items that did come with manuals and information sheets. We ordered a Centrino 1.6 gHz and got a Pentium M 1.5 gHz. It's the same thing basically and I won't make noise for a hundred megahertz. They promised a WiFi card bundled inside the computer. Apparently, as I heard today, that was only an option so I got no WiFi card. They sent a crappy mouse with the computer that didn't work on any computer I tried it on. And no, no apologies letter from the store because it was sent late. I will add that they did not contact me to tell me about the delay they had. I was sure they stole my money and disappeared.

So after two weeks problems started and all just came to a crash. Probably because I did something wrong, and probably because their IBM firmware was just crappy. Or so I was told by a friend who happened to work with IBM laptops for 14 years or so as he checked the computer. So I came in and found a secretary that was willing to accept the computer to take it for repairing but wouldn't hear anything else. I almost screamed that I needed it done for the day as I came from Jerusalem just for that. She said they didn't fix stuff for the day. It would take 10 to 15 days. My mom sarcastically said she hoped it wasn't the same 10 days they promised when we ordered it and became a month. The sarcasm was waved by another "I won't argue about that" from the secretary. I said I would accept another laptop as this one was undoubtelly broken from day one. She said it would be repaired and given to me. Of course, I will have to come and pick it up or pay 12 bucks for it to be sent to my home. She even offered to bring it to a place close to Jerusalem where she lived so we can pick it up. I started barking the problems I found and was handed a paper with space in it to write down my inquiries. I did, every single problem I found. She asked about my order number and I handed her the ticket they gave me. She checked and found my name in their computer. I became upset and said that some guy I spoke to promised a gift for the delay time. She said it was the crappy mouse I got with the computer and I said that the same guy said the mouse will be replaced by a new one and a gift will be talked about for the delay time. She fixed her eyes on mine and slowly said: "Now I understand. I know which David you are. You're the one that wrote that comment about us on the website". Her stare of disappointment nearly killed me. It was me, so I said: "I wrote that based on my experience with your store", but my words were sucked by the deep pain she felt. Her eyes watered and my brain was about to explode.

These are the words which I wrote on the site that sold their product to me. It works like eBay so my comment was a black star in their rating:
"There are no information manuals of any kind. The computer arrived after a month. I do not recommend this store to any person that believes in fair treat and service. A pity to get yourself into this kind of spiritual depression after buying at Orin Computers. Oh, there is no apologies letter - as they don't believe in mistakes from their part. Good luck to anyone who deliberately will endanger himself in nights without sleep and no answers on the phone".

She didn't listen and called another man to attend me. The man came and he stared blankly at the computer and asked what was wrong with it. He checked what my order was in the computer and the secretary pointed: "You better check this comment he wrote". He knew about it. I spoke to him too, after the website called them to try and understand how could a customer be so disappointed. He just showed me I didn't buy the computer with a WiFi card, though I just checked and found I did, and tried to stay calm. The secretary was wiping her "almost" tears and told him that I was told I would be given something as a bonus for the delay time. She found a new mouse and handed it to me. I repeated what I was told and he apparently remembered that he was the one who spoke to me. Without thinking he took a laptop case and gave it to me, asking if it was a fair gift. I said it was more than fair. I was about to ask for something cheaper, but he gave me this beautiful case. I sent the computer to repair but felt so bad about my comment and how it affected them. I believe a comment needs to be to the point and reflect my true experience with the store, but I think I regret it. A bit. Even though I'm not the only one. I've seen they got many other comments like mine. Tomorrow I will speak to them about the WiFi thing, because I was supposed to receive one. After that I will call the site and cancel my comment. After all is done with the repair and that I will post a new one stating what happened in the end. They did their best. Maybe I was wrong. The case was worth 30 dollars and I was about to ask for something worth 10. That impressed me, and I think I owe them one. Nevertheless I think that I won't be able to buy any more items from them. They got awesome prices, but my comment marked it all for me and I don't think I will have the guts to ever buy from them.

Honesty has its price.
Good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home